With so many food-loving holidays approaching our calendar, why not keep in mind the best foods you can possibly have for your oral health? Our team here at Ronald C. Fuhrmann, DDS, A division of Atlantic Dental Care in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is happy to offer you advice on healthy foods to keep your family’s smile healthy as the holidays roll by.
1. Water is your best friend. Drinking water is not only essential to live, but also essential to oral health. Water washes food particles away along with bad bacteria. Water also keeps conditions like halitosis and dry mouth at bay.
2. Dairy contains protein and calcium. Dairy is low in sugars and high in calcium. This strengthens your teeth and provides you with positive oral health.
3. Fruits and vegetables are essential. Everyone knows fruits and veggies help your entire body. Yet, because they are low in sugars and high in fibers they balance out to help clean your teeth and promote saliva production to wash away harmful food particles and acids.
4. Nuts contain protein and are low in carbohydrates. The proteins and minerals found in nuts do not add risk to cavities in your smile. That is because of the acid-producing bacteria from the carbs found within the nuts making them a healthy treat for your teeth.
5. Lean proteins provide low sugar and healthy results. Proteins are very healthy for your smile, especially when they are low in sugar as well. Having lean proteins can strengthen your teeth promoting excellent oral health.
If you would like to learn more about your oral health, call us today at 757-716-7943 to schedule an appointment. Our staff is always happy to help you have positive oral health and a beautiful smile.