Are you aware your habits might be damaging your teeth? Yes, it’s true! Oftentimes, we have patterns in our lives that can cause severe damage over time to our oral health and teeth. Without taking precautions or changing these habits, you could be facing severe dental damage and costly or painful effects.
As a result, our dentist, Dr. Ronald Fuhrmann in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is happy to help you keep your teeth healthy and strong by providing you with some information on simple, everyday habits people engage in that could be slowly damaging to your teeth.
These daily habits that can damage your teeth include:
- Chewing on pen caps puts a strain on your jaw, which can injure ligaments or chip a tooth.
- Neglecting oral hygiene habits such as brushing and flossing puts your teeth at higher risk for gum disease, which could lead directly to tooth loss and even bone loss.
- Chewing on ice can be harmful to your teeth because ice is a very hard matter strong enough to crack or chip a tooth causing severe pain.
- Nail biting places a strain on the joints in your jaw and can cause pain in your future. It is best to avoid this habit to keep your jaw and teeth in tip-top shape.
- Eating disorders are hazardous to your health and can cause a hurricane of problems for your teeth and gums. If you have an eating disorder, be sure to seek professional treatment right away.
The good news is, if you change these habits and shift your mind into thinking about taking great care of your teeth, you could be setting yourself up for positive oral health in your future. If you are in need of a dental cleaning, or if you have questions about your oral health, please call us today at 757-716-7943 to make an appointment. Our friendly team is happy to work with you and examine your smile.